The $2.1 billion Regional Transportation Authority plan was approved by Pima County voters on May 16, 2006. At the same time, voters approved a transaction privilege tax, or sales tax, to fund the 20-year plan.
Sales tax collections began on July 1, 2006. The plan will be implemented through June 30, 2026. Some of the projects will be funded by RTA funds only and other projects will be supplemented by regional funds as noted in the ballot.
By state law, the RTA must spend the money as outlined in the voter-approved ballot based on the plan, which was developed with a 35-member citizens advisory committee, public/private technical management committee and extensive public input.
The plan has the following main components:
- Roadway Improvement Element
- RTA funding: $1.2 billion
- Other funding: $334 million
- Safety Element
- RTA funding: $180 million
- Environmental and Economic Vitality Element
- RTA funding: $115 million
- Transit Element
- RTA funding: $534 million
- Other funding: $75 million